Rapid urbanisation poses multiple challenges for African cities in terms of urban planning and the provision and financing of infrastructure and services. While most debates focus on technical solutions to address these challenges, the political dimension of urbanisation receives less attention. This is one explanation for the discrepancy between optimistic rhetoric of municipal, national, and international stakeholders and the often harsh socio-economic realities on the ground.
Our Megatrends Afrika policy workshop addresses this gap and engages with the political dimension of urbanisation by presenting three papers on the panellists’ latest research on urban governance in Africa. They address the following questions:
- How do different stakeholders such as municipalities, national governments, civil society organisations,
the private sector, and international donors influence the politics of urban governance in Africa?
- Which kinds of local competition and bargaining for political and economic power exist in urban settings
and how do they affect policy outcomes?
- Which governance approaches or institutional reforms can be used to address the identified challenges
and facilitate more inclusive urban governance?
3.30 p.m. – 4.00 p.m. Registration
4.00 p.m. – 4.05. p.m. Welcoming Remarks
4.05 p.m. – 4.45. p.m. Panel Discussion
- Sina Schlimmer, IFRI, Paris: Building African cities from scratch?
‚New‘ urban megaprojects between afro-optimist discourses and socio-economic
- Michael Roll, IDOS, Bonn: Urban visions, political practices, and social realities
in Lagos: Where could change come from? (online)
- Astrid R. N. Haas, Urban Economist and Advisor, Kampala: Institutional reforms
for city financing: improving cities’ creditworthiness and expanding the tax base
Facilitation: Lena Gutheil, Associate, IDOS
4.45 p.m. – 5.30 p.m. Open Discussion
5.30 p.m. Reception
Please confirm your attendance (in person or online) until Wednesday, 12 October 2022 by email to
There is a limited number of seats / slots available. Participation in the event is subject to availability.
Upon registration, we will provide further information and instructions for log-in.
Please also note our data protection declarations for events and stored addresses at Megatrends Afrika.
Please note: During our online, hybrid and presence events photos and/or videos or screenshots may be taken which may be published in various media for the purposes of documentation and PR activities. By participating in the event, you agree to this. You have the right to inform us at any time that you do not want to be photographed or filmed.